OH MY WORD…… I’m so glad this room is finally done!
It really is one of my favorite rooms that I’ve ever put together. I love it because it fits my son perfectly. It’s sporty, has his favorite colors and it also has some very industrial and rustic elements.
There were a lot of different projects that I did in this room so I’ll give you all the details on how I did them.
PIPE CURTAIN ROD
This was by far my favorite project. It turned out awesome!
So here’s what you will need:
1- 3/4 in. 60″ long black iron pipe
2- 3/4 in. 90 degree elbows
2- 3/4 in. floor flanges
Can of Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze Spray Paint
Heavy duty screws and wall anchors
I spray painted all the pieces with the Rustoleum spray paint to give it a cohesive look and it worked great!
Now I will be honest, this wasn’t the cheapest project. For all the supplies it was $40…BUT it’s just so cool that it was worth it (and it was still WAY cheaper than the West Elm version for $99!)
The curtains are Ikea Merete. I like to hang my curtains as close to the ceiling as possible to make the room look taller. These curtains were perfect because they are 98″ long, so they puddle just a little bit (we have 8 ft. ceilings)
HANGING PENDANT LIGHT
I found this pendant light at Target and fell in love. I love the industrial look to it. And of course I HAD to add the Edison bulb. It looks vintage and awesome!
After I bought the light fixture I realized that I needed to figure out how I was going to hang it. I really didn’t want to hang it from the ceiling… so I did some googling on the internet and got inspired by someone’s homemade hanger. Then a little light bulb went off in my brain and I realized I could do the same idea for much cheaper and so much easier. I just bought a bracket for a shelf and spray painted it with the same Rustoleum paint I used for the curtain rod. It worked perfectly!
I cut 6 pieces of wood from a pallet I had leftover from my beach sign. I cut the 5 main pieces at just slightly different lengths because I didn’t want it to look perfect. I attached the last piece to the back to hold the rest together.
Then I used the same gel stain that I used on the dresser to stain it and give it a darker tone.
My first thought was to paint a white “T” on it (of course for the Tennessee Vols… and our last name, Thelin) but then I was at Hobby Lobby and saw this cool metal T. It was also 50% off so it was only $15. Seriously, how could I pass that up? So I nailed it to the front and now it looks awesome!
ROPE AND HEX NUT DRAWER PULLS
For this project you will need some rope, some hex nuts and glue. I used my crafty secret-weapon E-6000 glue. This project was literally $8 (not including the glue that I already had. You could probably also use Gorilla Glue and it would work just as good). The rope was 25 cents a ft. and I got 16 ft. for $4. The hex nuts were 23 cents each and I got 16 (2 for each drawer)so roughly $4 for those as well. You can barely buy 2 knobs for that price and I would’ve needed 8 of them! So I figured that could compensate for my expensive curtain rod 😉
I did use my drill to make the holes on my drawers a little bit bigger and then bought the hex nuts so they were just slightly larger than the holes. Then I applied some of my glue to the hex nuts and simply glued them on so they framed the hole. To make sure that they adhered well I held them on for about 30 seconds each.
For my rope I made sure that each time I cut it I wrapped some duct tape around the end to keep the rope held together and it made it easier to slide through the hole.
Then I simply tied the rope in a knot on the inside of the drawer.
So easy and I think it’s really unique and cool!
Now you can see why it took me so long to get this room done… so many projects! But it was really fun and I am thrilled with how it turned out! Here’s a few more pictures for you to enjoy!
CUSTOM CANVAS ART WITH RETRO PRINT
I had two 16×20 canvases that I wanted to use. Then my husband pulled out an old Tennessee calendar that he had that had these cool retro prints in them that are actual covers from game programs. I glued them on to the canvases and then I used some metal accents on the corners.
I hope you have enjoyed this rather long post.. but I hope that it’s inspired you in some way. Be creative, be daring and don’t be afraid to try some new things! You can usually make something pretty cool.