I hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend! Mine started out not so great with a cold/sore throat but I still managed to squeeze in my favorite project to date… my coffee table makeover!
Below is how it used to look. A boring old black table that was all scratched up. I’ve been wanting to paint it forever but just couldn’t decide on what I wanted to do. It’s probably not normal to sit and obsess about what color to paint your coffee table but I do that all the time with everything!
So I decided to just go for it. I started by sanding the coffee table so my paint would adhere better.
Then I started measuring for my lines. I wanted chunky lines so I made a mark at every five inches all around the perimeter of the right side and every five inches going up the middle. (I wish I would have got a better picture of this part…) Then I took my first 5 inch mark from the middle line and my first 5 inch mark on the bottom and connected them which gave me my first diagonal line and then repeated the process every 5 inches. Using these measurements this made my actual diagonal lines 3 1/2 inches wide because of the angle (I know, weird right? But that’s how it worked out)
So here’s what the right side looked like after I got all my tape on. All the areas that you can see the base coat of paint I painted over white. All the areas that are taped over will stay the base color.
To get a clean paint line here’s what I do. I take my paintbrush and seal all the edges of the tape always painting away from the edge of the tape to seal it. If you brush into the edge of the tape than the paint bleeds underneath. After all the edges are sealed you can just roll over it with a paint roller.
And painted the left side (somehow this picture got turned upside down…oops)
So here’s where my indecisiveness kicks in…… After I put the coffee table in my family room to see what it was going to look like, I decided there was just too much of the gold. So Plan B- I decided to only the keep the bottom part of the legs gold and to paint the rest of the bottom half white. So I taped everything off again, only exposing what I wanted to be white
It’s hard to tell in this picture but I did get out my electric sander again and on the lowest setting just lightly sanded the top to distress it a little bit.To finish it off I added a couple coats of Minwax water based polycrylic for better durability
In the end I was left with a beautiful new coffee table that doesn’t even remotely resemble the boring black table I started with. I am in love with this piece and I’m glad I took the risk! It was fun!!